[MP] Hosted files/pwads etc need client download and auto load/unload files
1. Could DE at some point have a /getwad feature added? ~ or at least something like it.
2. Or perhaps the ability to download a hosted pwad directly from the hosted server? ~ allowing the client a yes|no to download.
3. or maybe a download link added from server console which would display either in the in-game server list or on the master server web page?
In part of the above, the ability to automatically load or unload a pwad which is or isn't requested by a hosted game if the client already has it in his/her addons directory. ~ otherwise the client will end up connecting to a server which requires a pwad to be loaded, if it's not, then the player will end up connecting anyway but will be in the wrong map, eg a stock map/level.
For this^, the client should not be able to connect (with reason message) to a given server which has a pwad loaded. eg the client shouldn't be able to connect to any server unless all files that the server is running are loaded on client side prior to connecting.
The above should mainly have to do with addon resources such as pwad or deh files which would have nothing to do with other client side enhancements like model or texture addons etc.
#6 Updated by skyjake over 5 years ago
- Tags changed from Multiplayer to Multiplayer, FileSystem, Resources
- Category set to Enhancement
- Status changed from New to Progressed
- Assignee set to skyjake
- % Done changed from 0 to 20
The foundations for implementing this are pretty much in place, thanks to the package system in 2.0.