Bug #2364

Single color transparancy background edges

Added by 3DMaster over 2 years ago. Updated over 1 year ago.

Target version:
Start date:
% Done:



As described here

whenever a sprite has a single color transparency background, the sprite gets an outline in doomsday of that color. And although there's a workaround by editing the sprite and turning the transparency background into something doomsday handles properly, it seems to me this a hell of a lot of work that shouldn't be necessary; not just with existing sprites/projects, but also any future releases. It would be nice if Doomsday properly deals with single color transparency, and not give the sprite an edge.

Associated revisions

Revision 11bdcc38 (diff)
Added by skyjake over 2 years ago

Fixed|GL|Textures: Outline visible on external images

External images did not undergo bilinear filtering outline reduction. Now the RGB values of transparent pixels is set to the average of the surrounding non-transparent pixels.

IssueID #2364


#1 Updated by skyjake over 2 years ago

Is there an upsampled image/sprite/texture I could use for testing?

#2 Updated by 3DMaster over 2 years ago

Here's the Neural Upscale pack I use; it's the one you can download from doomworld but someone graciously modified it for Doomsday Engine, after which I removed the ones that I use other textures and/or models for that I like.

The shotgunner has the edge, the candle has the edge, the grating has the edge.

#3 Updated by skyjake over 2 years ago

Thanks. Yeah I can see the outlines, will have to investigate exactly what is causing them.

#4 Updated by skyjake over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from New to In Progress
  • Assignee changed from Deng Team to skyjake
  • Target version set to 2.3

I noticed that the outlines disappear if you set "rend-tex-filter-sprite" to zero.

This means it's the alpha blending of the pixels just next to the opaque ones that is causing the issue. This is relatively straightforward to fix.

#5 Updated by skyjake over 2 years ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Resolved
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100

#6 Updated by skyjake over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF