Use local server to run single-player games
The objective is to make the engine always run in client/server mode, even locally in single-player games.
Completion of this feature is planned to be a milestone for incrementing the major version number.
Note: On mobile devices (iOS/Android), there still needs to be a way to compile everything into a single binary. In this scenario, the server and client would be running in the same process and communicate over a simulated network link. It would be necessary to share cached resources to avoid needless duplication. However, the majority of the engine can remain oblivious to this arrangement.
For more information, see the Unified networking proposal
#1 Updated by skyjake over 9 years ago
- Category set to Redesign
#2 Updated by skyjake over 9 years ago
- Tags set to Client, Server
- Priority changed from Normal to High
#3 Updated by skyjake about 8 years ago
- Target version changed from 2.0 – Home UI & Packages to 51
#4 Updated by skyjake almost 8 years ago
- Target version changed from 51 to Architecture
#5 Updated by skyjake almost 8 years ago
- Assignee deleted (
#6 Updated by skyjake almost 8 years ago
- Description updated (diff)
#7 Updated by skyjake almost 8 years ago
- Related to Bug #2006: [MP] Automap and Inventory left open on player death added
#8 Updated by skyjake over 6 years ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Progressed
#9 Updated by skyjake over 3 years ago
- Subject changed from Unified networking to Use local server to run single-player games