Bug #778: Gamepad usability issues
Bindings for the Playstation 3 controller
When a gamepad controller is plugged in, the default joystick bindings should be bound to buttons/axes suitable for it. Since I have a PS3 controller that works with Doomsday, I can define reasonable bindings for it.In practice, the behavior should be:
- When launching a game for the first time, the connected controller's default bindings should be applied.
- Subsequently one can manually reset the joystick bindings to any particular scheme, via the Input Settings dialog (when a game is loaded).
Input|Client: Controller presets via Doomsday Script; basic PS3 bindings
The client's "controllers" DS module inserts a set of objects into the
Input.controllerPresets dictionary. Each object has a bind() method
that is called when the preset is taken into use.
This commit has basic Doom-compatible PS3 gamepad bindings. Heretic
and Hexen bindings (mostly for the inventory) are still missing.
#3 Updated by skyjake over 8 years ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Resolved
- Defining the bindings in an Info document would be more approachable for end users.
- We should use Doomsday Script for the parsing: controllers.de should be generalized to read the bindings from files in a specific folder.
- It should be possible to define names for the various buttons (e.g., PS3's square and triangle buttons) and axes rather than having to refer to them via numbers. These names should be used in the UI.
- There should be game-specific conditions.
- Not just bindings: setting the defaults for dead zones.