External scripts for mobj behavior
Making monster AI external would allow for far more
customizability. In Duke Nukem 3D all monster/object AI
was handled via external scripts, which made use of
built in AI functions such as: LookAtPlayer, RunAway,
The scripting language should also incorporate ACS.
This would leave only the game related routines in the
#1 Updated by skyjake almost 20 years ago
Logged In: YES
This is pretty much what I'm planning for version 2.0,
with the exception that the game DLL may provide
'default' AI routines for everything (since the code is
already there, and there's LOTS of it).
Not going to happen in the 1.7/1.8 series.
#2 Updated by skyjake over 9 years ago
- Tags set to Scripting, Mod, Gameplay
- Category set to Redesign
#3 Updated by skyjake over 9 years ago
- Priority changed from Normal to High
#4 Updated by skyjake over 3 years ago
- Status changed from New to Progressed
- Assignee set to skyjake
- Target version set to Modding
- % Done changed from 0 to 30
Some progress in this area. In 2.2, it is possible to use Doomsday Script in state actions functions. Given the right bindings to game-side objects, one could implement quite sophisticated monster logic entirely in DS.
#5 Updated by skyjake over 3 years ago
- Subject changed from Mobj AI moved to external scripts to External scripts for mobj behavior
#6 Updated by skyjake over 3 years ago
- Related to Feature #1620: XG 2.0 added