Qt 5.5 as minimum requirement for GUI, Qt 5.x for non-GUI build
Qt 4 is nowdays in maintenance mode and is not being actively developed any more. Qt 5 offers better APIs and more up-to-date functionality, e.g.,
QOpenGLWindow. We should drop support for Qt 4.7 and set the minimum at Qt 5.6 (LTS).
This would also simplify CMake build configuration, since it would not be necessary to support for Qt 4 and 5, which have different CMake configuration mechanisms (Qt 4 modules come with CMake, Qt 5 config packages come with the Qt SDK).
The downside is that older operating systems typically do not have the latest Qt 5 binaries (e.g., old Linux distros).
#15 Updated by skyjake over 3 years ago
- Subject changed from Qt 5.6 as minimum requirement to Qt 5.5 as minimum requirement for GUI, Qt 5.x for non-GUI build
- Status changed from Progressed to Closed
- Priority changed from Low to Normal
- Target version changed from 2.1 (Late 2018) to 2.0 – Home UI & Packages
- % Done changed from 90 to 100